Week without a podcast - but a "Muskrat's Ducat" instead



A week without a podcast – sorry.  It’s been a busy week of acting for me and I decided to give it a week off.  BUT I want to take the time to give a shout out to the wonderful community theatre project I've been involved in.  The 7th Annual 10-Minute Play Festival at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette featured a selection of the best 10-minute plays written by area playwrights within Tippecanoe and surrounding counties.  And each year it gathers together a diverse group of directors and actors, of all ages and levels of experience, to present these short plays.  Many folks get their start at the 10-Minute festival, dipping their toes on stage and leading to much greater involvement later.

MUCH love to all those involved in presenting the play I myself wrote, “Muskrat's Ducat,” which was directed by the irrepressible TJ Rosa (ART TAP guest in episode 083).
RON: Kyle Brown
ANDY: Eric Millard
SHERRY: Michelle Bonora
JUDY: Jenn Tordil
KIT: Mac Hurt
Unfortunately I never got to see it presented after the first days of tech week, as I was doing my own acting bit.  But I kept hearing great things about it, as the group rose each night to make it flow and to make it funny, and I am humbled by their efforts to bring to life the irreverent story of high school friends on a mythmaking journey through their old hometown.
If you're interested, you can find "Muskrat's Ducat" and a few other plays by me at the New Play Exchange!

And I have to call out my colleagues in the presentation of “153” by Steve Martin, directed by Lyle Janney.
EIGHTEEN: Michael Kaiser
FORTY-FIVE: Kyle Brown
NINETY: Craig Martin
This tale of three incarnations of the same man throughout his lifetime, and their reconciliation before a new venture, was a deeply affecting tale for audiences and cast members alike.  It was our treat to bring each man – Eighteen, Forty-Five, and Ninety – to life and breath.  And I am in no way bothered that when I, at 58 years of age, asked whether I needed to “age” my portrayal to be more reflective of a 90-year-old man, I was told, “No, that’s not necessary.”
Oh.  OK, fine.  Fine.
Again, you can find "153" and more of Steve's plays at the New Play Exchange!

Comments