ART TAP episode 023


(Captain Andy in a still from "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" - the guy perpendicular to the bowsprit)



Due to travel issues, this episode came in late and I’ll skip on the community calendar listings of events.  My sincere apologies.
On tap this week is a very unique episode, as I’ve taken ART TAP on the road.  I was in Seattle, Washington for the first of its kind PodCon (https://podcon.com), at the invitation of one of my oldest friends.  I recorded at the Lake Forest Park Cottage, an AirBnB-style guest cottage run by my old friend Andy and his wife Elise.  (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/674762)  My sincere thanks to them for their unbelievable generosity in hosting me there.

Captain Andrew Reay-Ellers and I grew up in northeast Ohio in the steel town of Warren, Ohio.  After growing up landlocked in Ohio, Andy became a seaman, working his way up to captaincy of ocean going vessels, including Tall Ships.  And he has since become an advisor and Sailing Master for cinematic productions such as “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World” and the Starz series “Black Sails.”

Andy went old school with his Look-up, sharing “Seamanship in the Age of Sail” by John Harland.  He bills it as not only the best book of its kind on sailing square sail vessels, but in fact the only book on the topic and one that is universally used for its comprehensive knowledge.
https://www.amazon.com/Seamanship-Age-Sail-Man-War/dp/0870219553

Check out this episode!  And please check out the links to our guests and discussions.  Remember to find/like/follow us @ArtTapPodcast on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  And ART TAP is now available on iTunes!  Look for it, subscribe, and leave a rating and review.  I’d love to have your feedback.

As there are very few sources for regular features on the arts anymore, I hope you’ll consider supporting the weekly ART TAP podcast to keep a dialogue running.  You’ll find a PayPal donation button on the ART TAP blog and a patron page on Patreon.com.  I'm very grateful for your support!

Comments